Fort McPherson

Fort McPherson (or Tetl'it Zheh - Town at the Head Waters) was established in 1849 when John Bell, an explorer for the Hudson Bay Company, established a trading post along the lower Peel River, four miles up from where the community of Fort McPherson is now situated.

After experiencing numerous floods the post was moved to higher ground, this post was called Peel River House but was later named Fort McPherson after Murdoch McPherson, who eventually became the Chief Factor for the Hudson's Bay Company. Fort McPherson is located on the east bank of the Peel River. The community sits on a bluff overlooking the Peel River, facing the beautiful Richardson Mountains.

The Peel River was named after Robert Peel, who had explored the large river entering the McKenzie Delta as part of the Franklin Expedition of 1826.

Fort McPherson is home to the Teetl'it Gwich'in People. Link:

Visit the Fort McPherson H. pylori Project research page »