Fort McPherson H.pylori Project
Fort McPherson (or Tetl’it Zheh – Town at the Head Waters) was established in 1849 when John Bell, an explorer for the Hudson Bay Company, established a trading post along the lower Peel River, four miles up from where the community of Fort McPherson is now situated.
After experiencing numerous floods the post was moved to higher ground, this post was called Peel River House but was later named Fort McPherson after Murdoch McPherson, who eventually became the Chief Factor for the Hudson’s Bay Company. Fort McPherson is located on the east bank of the Peel River. The community sits on a bluff overlooking the Peel River, facing the beautiful Richardson Mountains.
The Peel River was named after Robert Peel, who had explored the large river entering the McKenzie Delta as part of the Franklin Expedition of 1826.
Fort McPherson is home to the Teetl’it Gwich’in People. Link: http://www.fortmcpherson.ca/
- Community screening and surveys
- Policy development
- Knowledge exchange
|May 2011||The Teetl’it Gwich’in Council extended an invitation to Dr. Karen Goodman to initiate a study in Fort McPherson, NT, similar to the Aklavik H. pylori Project carried out in Aklavik, NT|
|November 2011 to May 2012||Memorandum of Agreement between the Fort McPherson H. pylori Project Planning Committee and the University of Alberta developed|
|June 2012||Fieldwork initiated in Fort McPherson (Participant recruitment, H. pylori screening by breath test, questionnaires)|
|March 2013||Endoscopy component initiated|
Treatment component initiated
|May 2013||Pathology component initiated and results reported back to participants|
|Ongoing||Short-term treatment follow-up|
Research results reported to community